Frank Bates

Creed Napoleon „Frank“ Bates (September 28, 1876 – after 1918) was a pitcher in Major League Baseball from 1898 to 1899. He played for the Cleveland Spiders and St. Louis Perfectos. Bates was 5 feet 10 inches (1.78 m) tall and weighed 156 pounds (71 kg).

Bates was born in Cleveland, Tennessee, in 1876. He started his professional baseball career in 1896 with the Columbus Babies and Mobile Blackbirds of the Southern Association. He had a combined win–loss record of 2-10 for the two clubs. The following year, he went 3-8 for the Southeastern League’s Chattanooga Blues. However, in 1898, Bates started the season with the Interstate League’s Dayton Old Soldiers and posted a winning record of 23-18. He then joined the major league Cleveland Spiders and went 2-1 with a 3.10 earned run average in four late-season starts.

In 1899, „syndicate baseball“ was allowed in the National League, which meant that a single group could own more than one team. The Cleveland Spiders and St. Louis Perfectos were both owned by Frank and Stanley Robison, and in March 1899, Bates was „assigned“ to St. Louis. He finished two games for the Perfectos early in the season, allowing one earned run in 8.2 innings pitched. On June 5, however, he was sent back to the Spiders, who were in last place. He made his debut for the 1899 Spiders on June 11, and, apparently „sulking“ over his transfer from team to team, pitched poorly and lost the game, 10-1.

Bates lost his first four decisions with Cleveland. He then defeated the Boston Beaneaters on July 1, pitching a 17-hit complete game; that turned out to be the only time he won in 1899. The Cleveland Spiders had transferred their best players to St. Louis and were on their way to a 20-134 campaign, which set a record for the lowest winning percentage in Major League Baseball history. Bates, pitching the third-most innings for this team, went 1-18 with a 7.24 ERA, while making „a circus-like assortment of pitching mistakes.“

The Cleveland Press noted in July that „although [Bates] succeeds in turning almost every game into which he participates into a howling farce, he is sent into the box in his turn, only to bring ridicule upon his unfortunate associates.“ The New York Times wrote that he had „very poor command of the ball.“ On August 17, after a game in which Bates walked nine Brooklyn Superbas batters (one with the bases loaded), the Cleveland Plain Dealer observed:

Of course, the Clevelands did not win the game, and it is hard to see when they will win a game so long as they persist in playing Bates … He had little speed today, was quite as wild as usual, and the Brooklyns had little or no trouble in making runs and plenty of them.

Bates was released from the team in September, having lost each of his last 14 starts. He never pitched in the majors again.

Bates returned to the Interstate League in 1900, and he went 6-13. In 1908, he finished his professional baseball career with the Cotton States League’s Meridian Ribboners.

In September 1918, Bates was living in Cincinnati, and working as a laborer for H. E. Culberson in Mingo Junction, Ohio.

Meena Lee

Meena Lee (Hangul: 이미나; born 25 December 1981) is a South Korean professional golfer who plays on the United States-based LPGA Tour.

Lee was born in Jeonju, South Korea. She took up golf at the age of fourteen, which is unusually late for a future professional golfer, but just a few years later, in 2000, she became the Korean Amateur Champion. She turned professional in 2002, one year before graduating from Yong-In University. She won three events on the LPGA of Korea Tour in her rookie season of 2002 and topped the money list. In 2003 she won one tournament and placed fifth on the money list.

In 2004, Lee played on the second-tier Futures Tour in the United States, finishing 23rd on the money list, but she was able to win an LPGA Tour card for 2005 by finishing tied for 25th at the LPGA Final Qualifying Tournament. She made a steady start to her rookie season and in July 2005 was a surprise finalist in the inaugural HSBC Women’s World Match Play Championship, which she lost to Colombia’s Marisa Baena by one hole. Two weeks later she won for the first time on the LPGA Tour at the BMO Financial Group Canadian Women’s Open. On 25 February 2006 she won her second LPGA Tour title at the Fields Open in Hawaii.

LPGA Tour playoff record (1–1)

Results not in chronological order before 2015.

DNP = did not play
CUT = missed the half-way cut
„T“ = tied
Yellow background for a top-10 finish.


Отигба, Кеннет

* Количество игр и голов за профессиональный клуб считается только для различных лиг национальных чемпионатов, откорректировано по состоянию на 2 октября 2016.

** Количество игр и голов за национальную сборную в официальных матчах.

Кеннет Карим Отигба (англ. Kenneth Karim Otigba; 29 августа 1992, Кадуна, Нигерия) — венгерский футболист нигерийского происхождения, центральный защитник нидерландского клуба «Херенвен», выступающий на правах аренды за турецкий «Касымпаша».

Отигба родился в Нигерии, в 2000 году переехал в Венгрию, где играл в юношеских командах «Дьюлаи Термал» и «Бекешчаба». В возрасте 16 лет присоединился к молодёжному составу нидерландского «Херенвена».

16 декабря 2012 года Кенни дебютировал в основном составе в игре против «Утрехта», завершившемся поражением 1-3. Всего в сезоне 2012/13 Отигба провел за «Херенвен» 4 матча. В октябре 2013 года Кеннет заключил новый контракт с клубом.

Получив венгерское гражданство, Отигба с 14 лет играл за юношеские сборные Венгрии различных возрастов, в настоящее время он является игроком молодёжной сборной Венгрии.

1 Кёсе (в) • 2 Отигба • 3 Божиков • 4 Тити • 5 Дурак • 7 Шаля • 8 Каштру • 9 Койта • 10 Бююк (к) • 11 Торун • 12 Павелка • 14 Этунди • 17 Шахин • 19 Кираз • 24 Кула • 25 Эмир (в) • 31 Веньо • 33 Алтынташ • 34 Бирничан (в) • 53 Яшар (в) • 55 Йылдырым • 61 Аяз • 88 Сары • 90 Попов • 95 Акьюз • Садику • Йылмаз • Тренер: Риза Чалимбай

Cascina Torchiera

The Cascina Torchiera is a historic „cascina a corte“ (farmhouse) of Milan, Italy, dating back to the first half of the 14th century. It is located in Zone 8, adjacent to the Maggiore cemetery, in the Musocco/Garegnano district, and qualifies as one of the oldest surviving cascine within the city boundaries. The cascina is formally the property of the Comune di Milano city administration, but has become a squatted social center since the 1990s.

The cascina has undergone several transformations over the centuries. The original building dates back to the 14th century; at the time, it was located in the middle of a large rural area. The name „torchiera“ may be a reference to an olive press („torchio“ in Italian) or the manufacturing of hemp rope („torcitura“). The Mailänder Kataster (an 18th-century cadastre of Milan), reports cultivations of barley and mulberry in the land that surrounded the cascina.

Historically a property of the clergy of the nearby Garegnano Charterhouse, the cascina and the surrounding land (including the Maggiore cemetery) were ceased to the Comune di Milano in 1888. Part of the building was demolished to create a large open space at the entrance of the cemetery; as a consequence, the cascina is now L-shaped, having lost the original square-yarded structure that is typical of cascine. After becoming a property of the Comune, the cascina was adapted for diverse uses such as craft workshops, small shops, and a local seat of the Italian Socialist Party; nevertheless, it was never properly maintained and restored and eventually experienced structural subsiding and the collapse of a large portion of the roofs.

In 1992, the cascina was occupied and turned into an „anti-fascist, anti-racist and anti-authoritarian“ squatted social center, known as „Cascina Autogestita Torchiera SenzAcqua“; the center is still active today, despite sporadic attempts by Milan’s administration to dismantle it or sell the property. In fact, the „SenzAcqua“ („WithoutWater“) word in the name is a reference to the fact that, in one such attempt, the Comune shut down the water supply to the cascina, a situation that persists today.

Volunteers from the social center have been restoring the building since 1994. Social activities in the cascina include theatrical representations, musical events, and classes of Italian languages for strangers.


Howard Leigh, Baron Leigh of Hurley

Howard Darryl Leigh, Baron Leigh of Hurley (* 3. April 1959) ist ein britischer Wirtschaftsmanager, Geschäftsmann und Politiker der Conservative Party. Seit September 2013 ist er als Life Peer Mitglied des House of Lords.

Leigh besuchte das Clifton College in Bristol. Von 1977 bis 1980 studierte er Wirtschaftswissenschaften (Economics) an der University of Southampton. Nach Abschluss seines Studiums arbeitete er kurzzeitig bei einer britischen Handelsbank. Im September 1981 trat er bei der Wirtschaftsprüfungs- und Beratungsgesellschaft Deloitte Haskins + Sells ein. Dort arbeitete er zunächst als Steuerberater (Tax Advisor). Er bildete sich zum vereidigten Buchprüfer (Chartered Accountant) fort und wechselte dann in das Corporate Tax Department von Deloitte. In dieser Zeit absolvierte er weitere Fortbildungen beim Chartered Institute of Taxation. Im Frühjahr 1986 baute er die Deloitte’s Mergers and Acquisitions Group, eine spezielle Abteilung für Unternehmenszusammenschlüsse und Firmenübernahmen, auf. Im Mai 1988 schied er bei Deloitte Haskins + Sells aus. Gemeinsam mit seinem Partner Hugo Haddon-Grant gründete er, ebenfalls noch im Mai 1988, im Londoner West End am Cavendish Square die Wirtschaftsberatungsgesellschaft Cavendish Corporate Finance LLP. Seit Januar 1991 ist er Direktor (Director) von Cavendish Corporate Finance (UK) Limited, seit März 2012 Direktor (Director) von Cavendish Corporate Investments Limited. Seit Juni 2010 ist er Senior Partner von Cavendish Corporate Finance LLP.

Von 2000 bis 2004 war er Vorsitzender (Chairman) der Faculty of Corporate Finance beim Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales (ICAEW). 2008 erhielt er den „Outstanding Achievement in Corporate Finance Award“ der Faculty of Corporate Finance.

Seit 1979 unterstützte Leigh die Conservative Party bei Wahlkämpfen. Leigh war von 2000 bis 2005 Schatzmeister der Conservative Party; seit 2005 ist er Alt-Schatzmeister (Senior treasurer). Er ist Mitglied im Executive Board der Conservative Friends of Israel.

Am 1. August 2013 wurde bekanntgegeben, dass Leigh zum Life Peer ernannt und für die Conservative Party Mitglied des House of Lords werden solle. Er wurde als sog. „Working Peer“ berufen. Am 16. September 2013 wurde er formell zum Life Peer erhoben; er trägt den Titel Baron Leigh of Hurley, of Hurley in the Royal County of Berkshire. Er gehört dem House of Lords seit dem 16. September 2013 auch formell an. Am 17. Oktober 2013 wurde er, mit Unterstützung von Andrew Feldman, Baron Feldman of Elstree, und Stanley Fink, Baron Fink, offiziell ins House of Lords eingeführt.

Leigh ist mit seiner Ehefrau Jennifer Leigh verheiratet und Vater von zwei Töchtern. Er ist ein begeisterter Rennläufer und nahm mehrfach an nationalen und lokalen Marathonläufen (u.a. Henley Standard 10km; Water of Life marathon) teil. Er lebt abwechselnd in London und Hurley.

Königsegg (Adelsgeschlecht)

Königsegg ist der Name eines alten schwäbischen Adelsgeschlechts, das in seinen reichsunmittelbaren Linien Rothenfels und Aulendorf zum Hohen Adel zählte und mit dem Deutschen Orden auch eine ostpreußische Linie bildete.

Ursprünglich hieß das Geschlecht Fronhofen nach der Burg Fronhofen (heute ein Ortsteil der Gemeinde Fronreute im Landkreis Ravensburg) und erscheint erstmals urkundlich 1171 mit dem welfischen Ministerialen Mengoz de Fronhove. Mitglieder des Geschlechts waren Ministeriale der Hohenstaufen und später des Heiligen Römischen Reiches. Die Brüder Eberhard und Berthold von Fronhofen nannten sich schon im Jahre 1209 ministerialis regis. Ein jüngerer Eberhard („frater domini Bertholdi de Fronhoven“) hieß dann ab 1251 Eberhardus de Kunigsegge (nach der Burg Königsegg, heute ein Ortsteil der Gemeinde Guggenhausen im Landkreis Ravensburg).

Burg Fronhofen

Burg Königsegg

1347 wurde Ulrich I. von den Habsburgern zum ersten Landvogt in Oberschwaben aus dem Hause Königsegg erwählt. Mit wenigen Unterbrechungen hatte die Familie dieses Amt bis zum Ende des Alten Reiches inne.

Johann Jacob von Königsegg kaufte 1565 von seinem Schwager, dem Grafen Ulrich von Montfort, die reichsunmittelbare Grafschaft Rothenfels im Allgäu mit dem Hauptort Immenstadt. Seine Söhne Marquard und Georg erhielten am 6. März 1621 eine Bestätigung des Reichsfreiherrenstandes, nachdem sie schon 1613 das Prädikat Wohlgeboren erhalten hatten. Georg ist der Stammvater der Linien Rothenfels und Aulendorf. Seine Söhne Hugo, Rothenfelser Linie, und Johann Georg, Aulendorfer Linie, wurden von Kaiser Ferdinand II. am 29. Juli 1629 in den Reichsgrafenstand erhoben.

Die Residenz der Herrschaft Rothenfels wurde um 1600 von der Burg Rothenfels in das Stadtschloss zu Immenstadt verlegt, das um 1550 als Amtshaus erbaut worden war und zwischen 1595 und 1620 durch Georg Freiherr zu Königsegg zum Schloss erweitert wurde. Die Grafen von Königsegg-Rothenfels lebten dann über Generationen überwiegend in Wien, wo sie bedeutende Positionen am kaiserlichen Hof einnahmen. Graf Leopold Wilhelm von Königsegg-Rothenfels (1630–1694) spielte 1683 eine maßgebliche Rolle bei der Verteidigung Wiens während der türkischen Belagerung. Sein Sohn Joseph Lothar von Königsegg-Rothenfels (1673–1751) kommandierte als kaiserlicher Feldmarschall und Präsident des österreichischen Hofkriegsrates das kaiserliche Heer in vielen Feldzügen. Dessen Neffe Christian Moritz von Königsegg-Rothenfels unterlag im Siebenjährigen Krieg 1757 im Gefecht bei Reichenberg den Preußen. Christian Moritz‘ Bruder Maximilian Friedrich von Königsegg-Rothenfels war ab 1761 Erzbischof und Kurfürst von Köln und ab 1762 bis zu seinem Tod 1784 zugleich auch Fürstbischof von Münster.

Graf Fidel Franz tauschte, nach dem Reichsdeputationshauptschluss, die Grafschaft Rothenfels und seinen übrigen Besitz im Allgäu mit Österreich und erhielt dafür 1804 die Herrschaft Boros-Sebiș im Königreich Ungarn; die Linie Rothenfels ist nicht erloschen, bis heute Leben Nachkommen der Familie in Ungarn.

Burg Rothenfels

Schloss Immenstadt

Den ehemals welfischen, dann staufischen Besitz Schloss Aulendorf erwarb die Familie 1381. Ein Ulrich nannte sich 1386 erstmals von Königsegg zu Aulendorf. Hans von Königsegg (1440–1484) verlegte die Familiengruft hierher. Johann Georg baute um 1620 Aulendorf zu seiner Residenz aus. Die reichsunmittelbare, dem Schwäbischen Reichskreis zugehörige Grafschaft bestand bis zu ihrem Ende durch die Rheinbundakte 1806, als sie dem neuen Königreich Württemberg zugeschlagen wurde und die vormals regierenden Grafen zu württembergischen Standesherren wurden. 1829 erhielten sie das Prädikat Erlaucht. Nach der Mediatisierung wurde Aulendorf nur noch vorübergehend bewohnt, aber zu Beginn des 20. Jahrhunderts aufwendig modernisiert. Die Grafen verkauften 1941 das Schloss, das 1987 an das Land Baden-Württemberg überging.

Bereits seit 1174 war der Ort Königseggwald unter der Verfügungsgewalt der Herren von Fronhofen gewesen; die Herren von Königsegg erwarben ihn 1311 als Eigentum und verlegten 1681 ihren Sitz von der Burg Königsegg nach Königseggwald, wo an der Stelle eines mittelalterlichen Vorgängerbaus ab 1765–1770 unter Beratung des französischen Architekten Pierre Michel d’Ixnard ein neues Schloss erbaut wurde. Die Grafen zu Königsegg-Aulendorf bewohnen bis heute das Schloss in Königseggwald und besitzen neuerdings, infolge Erbschaft, auch das Schloss Halbturn im Burgenland. Dort betreiben sie ein renommiertes Weingut.

Schloss Aulendorf

Schloss Königseggwald

Schloss Halbturn

Zum Deutschen Orden bestanden seit 1268 enge Verbindungen, so sind ab 1351 verschiedene Familienmitglieder als Deutschordensritter und Komture nachgewiesen, so Eberhard von Königsegg 1378–1384 als Komtur auf der Mainau. Die Existenz einer preußischen Linie begann urkundlich 1405, als Eberhard VI. von Königsegg zum Hatzenturm sich bereits im Ordensland Ostpreußen befand. Der aus dieser Linie stammende Wilhelm Fabian von Königsegg wurde 1694 in den preußischen Freiherrenstand erhoben. Nachfahren der freiherrlichen Linie leben auch heute noch.

Leopold Wilhelm von Königsegg-Rothenfels (1630–1694), Reichsvizekanzler

Maximilian Friedrich von Königsegg-Rothenfels (1708–1784), Kurfürst und Erzbischof von Köln, Fürstbischof von Münster

Im Jahre 1455 beauftragte Junker Lutold III. von Königsegg den Fechtmeister Hans Talhoffer damit, ein Fechtbuch für ihn herstellen zu lassen. Dieser Königsegger Kodex (Hs. XIX 17.3) mit über 100 Bildtafeln über verschiedene Kampfweisen befindet sich noch heute in der gräflichen Bibliothek der Königsegg-Aulendorf. 2010 wurde ein Faksimileband und ein Kommentarband veröffentlicht.

Das Stammwappen ist von Gold und Rot schräglinks geweckt (gerautet). Auf dem bekrönten Helm ist ein Busch von sieben roten Straußenfedern. Die Helmdecken sind rot-golden.

Wappen der Königsegg in der Zürcher Wappenrolle, um 1340

Wappen der Königsegg in Scheiblers Wappenbuch 1450–1480

Wappen der Königsegg im Kreuzgang des Konstanzer Münsters

Wappen der baltischen von Königseck

Das gold-rot geweckte Wappen findet sich heute wieder in einigen Gemeindewappen in Baden-Württemberg und durch die Linie Rothenfels auch im bayerischen Regierungsbezirk Schwaben:

Aulendorf, Landkreis Ravensburg

Fronreute, Landkreis Ravensburg

Guggenhausen, Landkreis Ravensburg

Königseggwald, Landkreis Ravensburg

Fischen i.Allgäu, Landkreis Oberallgäu

Ofterschwang, Landkreis Oberallgäu

Bolsterlang, Landkreis Oberallgäu

Niedersonthofen, Landkreis Oberallgäu

S.E. Rykoff

S.E. Rykoff & Co., also known as SERCO, was a broad line national wholesale grocer that serviced the restaurant, hotel and institutional trade from regional warehouses, sale forces and truck fleets located primarily on the west coast of the United States. S.E. Rykoff & Co. eventually became US Foodservice in 1997 by merging with JP Foodservice. The company traces its roots to a small family grocery store opened by Harry & Ida Rykoff in Los Angeles, California in 1911.

The Harry & Ida Rykoff Family moved from Sioux City, Iowa to Los Angeles in 1910. The family opened a small grocery store near Union Station in downtown Los Angeles. They had nine children. In 1919, their son Saul returned from military service in World War I and rejoined his parents’ grocery store. Saul realized that selling food by the wagon load to large users was better business than selling to individuals. Saul proposed that the family focus on wholesaling. The company, S.E. Rykoff & Co. is named after Saul with the slogan, “Home of the Gallon Goods” which referred to the foodservice industry #10 can size. Saul focused on distributing to restaurants and other institutional customers of canned goods and dry groceries in and around Los Angeles. S.E. Rykoff & Co. was incorporated in 1950. Saul E. Rykoff died April 26, 1967 and was survived by his wife Saragrace and three children Thomas, Stephen and Ruth Coleman.

On June 15, 1967, Saul’s son in law Roger Coleman was elected president and chief executive officer of S.E. Rykoff & Co. Coleman had been a board member of the company since 1960. In 1969, Rykoff was generating about $900k in profits on sales of $54 million. Coleman believed that expanding Rykoff’s distribution network, sales force and product offerings were the best way to increase value of the company. Rather than relying solely on internal expansion, Coleman initiated the strategy of acquiring small regional wholesale distributors in markets that Rykoff wanted to enter. Roger Coleman viewed it far easier to buy an establish wholesale grocery company in a new territory rather than build a sale force and distribution network from scratch. In 1969, Rykoff purchased S&W Fine Foods of San Francisco (later acquired by Del Monte Foods). S&W had a strong distribution network in Northern California.

To fund the acquisition and internal growth strategy and to satisfy the Rykoff family members looking for liquidity, S.E. Rykoff & Co. became a public company. In October 1972, S.E. Rykoff & Co. issued 400,000 shares at $25 par value in the over the counter market (NASDAQ). S.E. Rykoff & Co. was generating $1.9 million in profits with revenue of $75.9 million. 200,000 shares were used to repay short-term debt and to augment working capital. The remaining 200,000 shares were sold by family members.

With the new access to capital and less of the Rykoff Family involvement, S.E. Rykoff & Co. purchased Louis Enders a Brooklyn, New York based food product supplier that distributed in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. In the Enders deal structure, S.E. Rykoff & Co. exchanged 130,000 share of company stock for ownership of Louis Enders business and operating assets. Louis Enders management was kept in place and S.E. Rykoff & Co. products were added. In March 1973, S.E. Rykoff & Co. purchased the assets of Schuss Wholesale Grocery Company of Portland, Oregon. In addition, S.E. Rykoff &Co. purchased the southern California and Arizona coffee distribution business of General Foods for an undisclosed amount. In 1974, S.E. Rykoff & Co. purchased Reliable Glassware & Equipment Co. of Los Angeles ($1.5 million in sales) for an undisclosed amount of cash. That same year, S.E. Rykoff & Co. purchased C.L. Chaban Co. ($2 million in sales) a San Francisco distributor of restaurant supplies and equipment.

Even though S.E. Rykoff & Co. was busy integrating these acquired companies into SERCO, Roger Coleman was focused on internal growth by expanding product lines and increasing the commission based Rykoff sales force. Between 1972 and 1974, S.E. Rykoff & Co. expanded the sales force from 250 to 300 salesmen. In 1974, S.E. Rykoff & Co. obtained the bulk of its sales (78%) from food items. It did not distribute meat, produce or dairy. Rykoff produced a very limited amount of its own products chiefly pancake syrups, barbecue sauces and mayonnaise at its downtown Los Angeles warehouse. The majority of its food products were canned and dried goods packed by other food companies. Rykoff distributed a very limited amount of frozen foods. About 14% of Rykoff’s sales came from paper goods and chemicals. The remainder was from glassware and restaurant equipment.

By 1975, S.E. Rykoff & Co. was generating $163 million in sales with $5.1 million in profits, had 1,220 employees with 930 in California. Rykoff distributed in California, Alaska, Hawaii, Nevada, Oregon and through the Louis Ender division on the east coast. Under Roger W. Coleman, CEO leadership, S.E. Rykoff & Co. had tripled its revenue and increased profits by 500% in less than 10 years.

In April 1976, S.E. Rykoff & Co. announced plans to build a new 250,000-square-foot (23,000 m2) distribution center in the Bay Area of San Francisco with delivery in October 1977. The new distribution center replaced the 70,000-square-foot (6,500 m2) center that was acquired with the purchase of C.L. Chaban Co. in 1973. The new distribution center would provide much better service to Rykoff’s customers in the Bay Area, northern and central California.

In September 1977, S.E. Rykoff & Co. purchased the business and assets of Food Service and Design Corp. of Boston for an undisclosed sum. Roger W. Coleman’s vision was to expand Rykoff’s foodservice equipment sales on the east coast by providing kitchen and restaurant design. Foodservice equipment such as dish washers, ranges, ovens, mixers etc. have much higher margins than wholesale groceries. In addition, Rykoff’s equipment customers tended to purchase their groceries for Rykoff.

In 1979, S.E. Rykoff & Co. decided to close the metropolitan New York Division. Rykoff originally expanded into the New York market by purchasing the Louis Ender food company. The distance between Los Angeles and New York proved too much from a management stand point. The division had lost money between 1976 and 1978. A strike in early 1979 by the Teamsters would result in continued losses, the result was S.E. Rykoff & Co. decided to close the operations.

By 1981, the entire US foodservice industry was $51 billion and the largest foodservice distributor only had 3% of the market. S.E. Rykoff & Co. was the largest foodservice distributor on the west coast. The company was generating $315 million in sales and had over 500 salesmen working on 40% commission. 65% of Rykoff’s sales were from house brands and 35% from nonfood items like glassware, cooking equipment and restaurant supplies. At this time, Roger W. Coleman, CEO was on recorded saying that he believed that the wholesale food industry would not consolidate and no company would dominate nationally, largely because of great regional differences.

Roger W. Coleman approached Beatrice Foods with an offer to purchase John Sexton & Co. in 1982. Beatrice had purchase Sexton in 1968 for $37.5 million and had operated it as an independent company. In 1982, Sexton had revenue of $380 million with net income of $12 million compared to Rykoff’s $346 million with net income of $4.5 million. Coleman saw an opportunity to gain an outstanding brand name, extensive product line, national distribution network, manufacturing division and a highly regarded sales force at a very attractive price. S.E. Rykoff & Co. bought John Sexton & Co. in 1983 $84 million from Beatrice Foods. At the time, it was the largest food service acquisition. Coleman realized that the S.E. Rykoff & Co. Brand was only known on the west coast where the Sexton Brand was known nationwide by institutional food customers. John Sexton & Co. had been distributing nationwide since 1897 and was well known as providing quality foods, reliable service and privately manufactured food items. Coleman convinced the S.E. Rykoff & Co. board of directors to rename the company Rykoff-Sexton. By 1986, Rykoff-Sexton took fourth place among foodservice distributors with $800 million in sales.

In December 1992, Roger W. Coleman retired after 42 years with S.E. Rykoff & Co., 25 years as CEO. Coleman led S.E. Rykoff & Co. from a family owned west coast regional wholesaler grocer to a national wholesale grocer with over $1 billion in annual revenue. Coleman’s vision of buying regional wholesale grocers and integrating them under one banner would be repeated in the mid-1990s by other wholesale grocery executives. Rykoff-Sexton board member and executive vice president, Mark Van Stekelenburg, 41 years old, succeeded the 63-year-old Mr. Coleman. Mr. Van Stekelenburg joined Rykoff-Sexton in March 1990, and previously headed a unit of Royal Ahold NV, a food service distributor in the Netherlands. The company headquarters was moved to Lisle, IL.

In 1996, under the leadership of Mark Van Stekelenburg, Rykoff-Sexton Inc. bought Continental Foods of Baltimore, MD, H&O Foods of Las Vegas, NV, and US Foodservice of Wilkes-Barre, PA . Rykoff-Sexton Inc. was now operating a national foodservice distribution division (d.b.a. „US Foodservice“ with the businesses and assets of Sexton Foods, S.E. Rykoff & Co. and US Foodservice), a private label manufacturing division (Sexton Foods ), a foodservice contract and design division (Finegolds), and a foodservice equipment and supply division (S.E. Rykoff & Co.).

In 1997, Rykoff-Sexton (RYK) was generating $3.2 billion in annual sales and was in the process of re-branding all products to the US Foodservice brand by dropping the Rykoff-Sexton, S.E. Rykoff & Co. and John Sexton & Co. brands. It was determined that a standardized and easily recognizable brand would reflect a nationwide presence and distribution capabilities to better compete in the rapidly consolidating foodservice market. Ryoff-Sexton realized that it had to grow revenue and distribution presence or be squeezed out by Sysco the largest foodservice distributor in the United States with $14.45 billion in sales for fiscal 1997. During this time, the company headquarters were moved to Wilkes-Barre, PA from Lisle, IL.

In July 1997, JP Foodservice ($1.7 billion in revenue) and Rykoff-Sexton ($3.2 billion in revenue) reached an agreement to merge in order to create a larger single brand to better compete in a rapidly consolidating industry. JP Foodservice (JPF) exchanged $680 million in company JPF stock for all outstanding Rykoff-Sexton shares and the assumption of $700 million in Rykoff-Sexton debt (total deal value of $1.38 billion) . All individual brands were dropped in favor of the US Foodservice brand. The merger created a larger national foodservice company with $5 billion annual sales (1997).

In 2000, US Foodservice was bought by Ahold for $3.6 billion in cash.

In 2007, Ahold sells all US Foodservice assets to private equity firm KKR.

KKR operates US Foodservice as one its profolio companies with the most likely eventual plan to „cash out“ US Foodservice by issuing shares on the New York Stock Exchange and paying off the acquisition debt.

Victor M. Place

Victor Morton Place (November 26, 1876 – June 16, 1923) was an American football player, coach, and lawyer. He played college football at Dartmouth College from 1900 to 1902, serving at the team captain in 1902. He served as the head football coach at Ohio Wesleyan University from 1903 to 1905, at the University of Washington from 1906 to 1907, and at the University of Notre Dame in 1908, compiling a career record of 30–24–6. His single loss as Notre Dame’s head coach was at an away game against the Michigan Wolverines, a significant football rival since 1887.

The following is a description of the 1909 Notre Dame team from Michael Steele’s The Fighting Irish Football Encyclopedia:

„Victor Place [Notre Dame’s coach in 1908] was replaced by Frank Longman, a former fullback for Yost from 1903 to 1905. He had coached at Arkansas and Wooster; at Wooster he had beaten Ohio State, the first time in 18 tries for the small school. In picking Longman, Notre Dame signalled [sic] the end of the domination of eastern personnel and methods.“

Place died at Brookings, Oregon in a logging accident in 1923.

Place was born on November 26, 1876 in New Salem, Massachusetts. He earned an LLB from Harvard Law School in 1906.

Pound sign (#) denotes interim head coach.

Nessa Feddis

Nessa Feddis is an American attorney and banking industry spokesperson.

As senior vice president and deputy chief counsel for consumer protection and payments at the American Bankers Association’s (ABA) Center for Regulatory Compliance, she focuses on consumer protection laws and payment system issues. She analyzes and instructs on various regulatory and legislative proposals and final laws related to consumer financial services including credit and debit cards, privacy, deposit accounts, payments systems, and payment system fraud prevention. She informs Congress and government agencies on these subjects. She has testified before Congress.

She is a former President of the American College of Consumer Financial Services Lawyers and former Chair of the Subcommittee on Electronic Fund Transfers of the American Bar Association’s Consumer Financial Services Committee. She is also on the faculty at Practising Law Institute.

Feddis‘ has contributed articles discussing regulatory and legislative developments in consumer banking matters to ABA Banking Journal and ABA Bank Compliance.

She received her law degree from Catholic University.

Feddis appeared on PBS’ NewsHour with Jim Lehrer in March 2011 to discuss the Fed’s proposed rule regarding interchange. She said, „Interchange is basically the merchants‘ contribution to creating this very valuable, available-24/7, reliable system. And that’s how it started. It really was a merchant phenomenon. The merchants, or the businesses, were getting tired of the losses from when their checks were returned. So they basically agreed to pay the fee and shift those losses and the risk of those losses back to the bank. And that’s what it amounts to. So, the fee covers the cost of providing this 24/7-available system. And it’s reliable. It’s quick. It’s secure. It not only helps maintain it, but it helps improve it. That means innovation. And one of the great concerns here is that, if they don’t have the money, you won’t see any more innovation.“

Feddis predicted on various national news stations, including PBS’ NewsHour with Jim Lehrer, and on ABC News that the Credit CARD Act would mean that credit card rates would increase generally, small businesses and consumers would find it harder to obtain credit, and limits would be lower.

Recent data show that since the credit card restrictions ultimately adopted in the CARD Act were proposed in 2008, credit card interest rates have increased and credit card credit availability has declined. In contrast, during the same period, interest rates on other types of consumer credit declined, and non-revolving, non-mortgage debt as a percent of disposable income increased, suggesting that the economy alone cannot explained the increased credit cards interest rates and reduced availability.

In an interview on PBS’ News Hour with Jim Lehrer she said, “The bills and the rules restrict the ability of card companies to adjust to changing environments, changing risks. Over time, the market changes. Over time, people change. And if [the credit card companies] can’t adjust to that risk — and risk equals cost — other people have to absorb it. In other words, people who manage their credit well end up having to pay for people who don’t repay their loans.”

On ABC News she said, “Riskier borrowers pay more for loans just like riskier drivers pay more for car insurance. And the inability to price for risk means that the cost is spread out over everybody.”

Subsequently, in another interview on PBS’ News Hour with Jim Lehrer when asked whether the Credit CARD Act could mean credit cards would be more difficult for some to obtain, Ms. Feddis responded, “Congress understood when they passed this law that one of the effects would be that many people, many small businesses wouldn’t be able to get credit cards as easily, accounts would be closed, limits would be lowered. They also understood that, across-the-board, interest rates would go up a bit for everybody.”

In response to the observation that this was already happening, she said, “We’re seeing that in the advertised rates, the new accounts, but [Congress] also understood that people who manage their credit well will to some degree be subsidizing or paying for those who don’t. But they made the decision that this was an acceptable compromise — a tradeoff, if you will — for the consumer protections.

A 2011 study by Argus Information & Advisory Services found that, based on cardholder data of the 9 largest credit card issuers, credit card interest rates increased and credit availability decreased since credit card restrictions ultimately adopted in the CARD Act were proposed in 2008.

She also noted the positive aspects of the CARD Act, “The predominant effect of this new law is that consumers will no longer be surprised by an interest rate increase. For the most part, they will receive a 45-day advanced notice and, more importantly, the option to pay off the existing balance over time at the original rate.“

As a banking industry representative, Feddis suggested in an interview with USA Today that the credit industry’s treatment of students gives students a beneficial crash course in financial management, noting that unexpected fees may present “an opportunity to learn to manage a bank account.”

A 2007 Washington Post article — on banks‘ debit card overdraft fees — quoted her testimony before a subcommittee of the House Financial Services Committee stating that paying overdrafts “helps to avoid embarrassment, inconvenience, merchant fees and other adverse consequences of having a check bounce or a transaction denied.” The article notes that she added: „Careful tracking by the customer of transactions is an important responsibility. It is even more critical today than ever before, as there are many new and convenient ways to pay for the goods and services we buy.“ The article also pointed out that she testified that customers should keep track of their money, “because they are in a better position to know their actual balance. Only they know about the most recent automatic payments they have authorized and debit card transactions they have approved.”

The Washington Post columnist pointed out that debit card issuers could notify customers electronically, allowing them to avoid the overdraft fees. The article contended that „financial institutions don’t want to change the status quo because they make good and easy money off their own customers‘ mistakes and irresponsibility.“ Feddis responded that „current technology [2007] makes real-time notification [at the point of sale] of overdrafts cost-prohibitive.“

Feddis has also pointed out that the majority of bank customers don’t pay any banking fees—including overdrafts—in a 2009 MarketWatch article. She says, “Anyone’s bank account can fall short from time to time but overdraft fees are 100% avoidable. Just like a parking ticket, they’re meant to be a deterrent.”

In Frontline’s September 2009 documentary titled The Card Game, which investigated questionable practices of the American credit card industry and the relationship of credit card abuse to the financial crisis of 2001-2010, when asked about the arrogance of the banking industry, Feddis replied: „Well, once Congress and the regulators identified the problems, they addressed it, and the industry is moving on.

Born Nessa Eileen Feddis in November 1958, Feddis is one of six daughters of Eileen and Robert Feddis, both natives of Dublin, Ireland, who met while serving in the armed forces. Robert Feddis retired in 2007 as Cumberland, Maryland’s first orthopedic surgeon. Nessa Feddis was born in Maryland and eventually moved to Washington, D.C. where she has lived ever since.

Feddis has competed in rowing on the Potomac Boat Club team in D.C. In 1997, she won a gold in the Head of the Charles Regatta Master 8s and a silver in 1998.


quattro (betyr fire på Italiensk) er et registrert varemerke Audi AG bruker på firehjulstrekkssystemene sine. quattro ble først introdusert i 1980 med modellen Audi Quattro, og firehjulstrekk har senere vært tilgjengelig i stort sett alle modellene Audi selger.
Når det er snakk om firehjulstrekksystemet skrives alltid quattro med liten q. Audis modellbetegnelse Quattro skrives med stor Q.

Brukt fra 1980 til 1987 i Audi Quattro, Audi 80/90 og Audi 100/200. Dette systemet hadde åpen differensial, foran, bak og i girkassa. Både senter- og bakakseldifferensialen kunne låses manuelt med vribrytere i midtkonsollen.

Brukt fra 1988 til 1994 på Audi Quattro inntil den gikk ut av produksjon, Audi 80/90, Audi Coupé, Audi S2, Audi RS2, Audi 100 og Audi S4(1991–1994). Dette systemet hadde åpen differensial foran og bak, og en Torsendifferensial i girkassa som mekanisk fordeler motorkraft til det hjulparet som har mest grep. Kraftfordelingen er 50/50, men opptil 75% av motorkraften kunne sendes enten forover eller bakover. Bakakseldifferensialen kunne også låses manuelt med en bryter i midtkonsollen.

Kun brukt i Audi V8 fra 1990 og ut og var på modellene med manuelt gir nesten likt andre generasjons quattro, men med en Torsendifferensial bak og. I bilene med automatgir var det en elektronisk styrt senterdifferensial og Torsendifferensial bak.

Dette sytemet kom i 1995 og ble brukt i Audi A4/S4(1997/2008)/RS4, Audi A6/allroad/S6/RS6 og Audi A8/S8. Det fikk en ny type Torsendifferensial og åpne differensialer foran og bak med elektronisk styrt differensialsperre (Electronic Differential Lock, EDL) som går på ABS/ESP-systemet. Den nye Torsendifferensialen kan ikke fordele mer enn 67% av motorkraften til et hjulpar, mens vanlig kraftfordeling er 50/50.

Brukes i Audi A4 og S4 og RS4 og A5 og S5 og RS5 og A6 og S6 og RS6 og RS6 Performence A7 og S7 og RS7 og RS7 Performens A8 og S8 og S8+ og R8* og Q5 og Q7 (fra 2008), og vil bli brukt på nye Audimodeller med langsstilt motor. Den har fått en ny Torsen-senterdifferensial som har en 40/60 „front-bak“ kraftfordeling, og kan sende opp til 70% av kraften forover eller 85% av kraften bak. Både for- og bak-differensial er åpne og utstyrt med EDL-systemet.

Audi A3/RS3 og Audi TT og TT S og TT RS og Q2 og Q3 og S1 har, i motsetting til de andre Audi modellene, tverrstilt motor og hadde derfor viskosekobling fram til 1998, og fikk Haldex-systemet etter det. Også disse løsningene markedsføres med quattro-betegnelsen.
Dette systemet er ikke et fulltids firhjulstrekksystem. Motorkraften går til forhjulene helt til de mister grep. Da kobles bakakslingen til senter-differensialen gjennom en elektronisk/hydraulisk styrt clutch ved bak-differensialen. Under normale forhold er kraftfordelingen 100/0 front-bak, og kan fordele inntil 50/50 om begge forhjulene spinner. Brukes også av Volkswagen og Skoda og Seat. Og mange andre biler med Tverrstilt motor

Quattro er et registrert varemerke tilhørende Audi AG.